University of Missouri Extension Network of Councils
County, regional and state extension council members serve as the interface between MU Extension and elected representatives in local and state government. Council members have many opportunities to be key communicators and advocates for the valuable programs and work that extension does in communities across the state.
County extension councils
In all 114 Missouri counties, an MU county extension council, of elected, appointed and delegated citizens help guide local educational programming. County council members are partners in the educational process, from needs assessment through program implementation and evaluation of outcomes.
Regional extension councils
MU Regional Extension Councils include representatives from each county extension council within the region. Each county council selects its representatives. Regional extension councils are the forums through which county councils cooperate in providing effective, educational programs through:
- Discussion and exchange of information on regional issues;
- Recommendations on topics and issues related to regional and county concerns;
- Assistance in the training of county extension councils;
- Promotion of and support for multi-county planning and programming;
- Fostering of the partnership of MU Extension, MU Extension state council and the extension county councils; and
- Support for the policies and procedures jointly adopted by MU Extension and MU Extension state council.
State extension council
The University of Missouri Extension State Council promotes the common interest of county councils through:
- Support for research and extension programs of MU and Lincoln University at all levels of government, and
- Dissemination of information on the need for, and advantage of, research and extension.
The MU Extension state council is comprised of individuals who currently serve, or have served, on a county extension council and who are elected by their regional extension councils.
The council meets the second Friday of each month.
Mark Stewart, director of off-campus operations, is the liaison to the state and regional councils and the person who works with regional directors and their county councils.