MU Extension Regional Councils
MU Regional Extension Councils include representatives from each county extension council within the region. Each county council selects its representatives. Regional extension councils are the forums through which county councils cooperate in providing effective, educational programs through:
- Discussion and exchange of information on regional issues;
- Recommendations on topics and issues related to regional and county concerns;
- Assistance in the training of county extension councils;
- Promotion of and support for multicounty planning and programming;
- Fostering of the partnership of MU Extension, UMESC and the county councils; and
- Support for the policies and procedures jointly adopted by MU Extension and UMESC.
Operating Guidelines for Regional Extension Councils
The purpose of MU Regional Extension Councils is to be a forum through which member county councils cooperate in providing effective educational programs for the region by:
- Exchanging information and discussing issues of regional concern. Making recommendations on topics and issues related to regional and county concerns.
- Assisting in the training of county extension councils. Promoting and supporting multicounty planning and programming.
- Fostering the partnership of University of Missouri Extension, University of Missouri Extension State Council and county councils.
- Supporting the policies and procedures jointly adopted by University of Missouri Extension and University of Missouri Extension State Council.
Membership of Regional Extension Councils shall be selected by the county extension councils in each county in the region. Each county has one vote. Members are selected annually during the month of April. Each county council may name two representatives, however, all council members may attend regional council meetings. County councils cannot be represented at regional extension council meetings by extension staff.
Regional extension councils elect their own officers. The executive committee of each regional extension council includes a chair, vice chair and secretary. The regional director serves as an ex officio member. of the executive committee. No more than one Executive Committee member may come from the same county.
Regional extension councils are responsible for electing the member(s) to serve on the board of the University of Missouri Extension State Council. The number of members from each region is specified in the University of Missouri Extension State Council By-Laws.
Regional Extension Councils are responsible for covering meeting costs (food, travel, meeting facilities). Each regional extension council has flexibility in determining how those costs are covered.
County extension councils may use county funds to support participation of the council representatives in regional activities. Regional Directors are responsible for costs related to resource people, materials and supplies.
Regional Extension Councils meet at least three times per year and as needed. The executive committee of the regional extension council is responsible for setting the dates and locations, and establishing the agenda in accordance with the councils purpose.
Each regional extension council provides a copy of meeting minutes to each participating council, University of Missouri Extension State Council, the regional director and the Executive Vice President and Director's office.
Contact: Mark Stewart, Director of Off-Campus Operations