Full location, phone, and email information is available.

Contact Information

All university employees use the electronic travel reimbursement system (T&E) PeopleSoft module for most university-paid reimbursements. All non-travel and moving reimbursements are processed through the T&E system.

*Non-employees (such as county secretaries and volunteers) will continue to use the printable forms and be entered as a non-po supplemental voucher.

Travel Policies

Federal lobbyist reporting requirements still apply, but reporting is now handled by the online eCompliance system for the University of Missouri.

Travel Pre-Approval is needed for all out-of-state travel OR travel that is outside of the normal scope of work or assigned counties. This applies to both faculty and staff. The request process goes thru the online eCompliance system. A copy of the approved PDF from the eCompliance system should be attached to all related expenses for the travel, which includes expenses either paid with a Onecard or reimbursed.

Tips: (not to replace reading the policies)

  • Cost analysis of flying vs. driving is no longer required. Employees are expected to use common sense when deciding the least expensive but reasonable way to travel for business.
  • Units may not establish lower limits or more restrictive policies (i.e. mileage rate or meals) for travel unless required by an outside entity.
  • Where feasible and appropriate, you should have the university pay pre-trip travel expenses before the trip (usually by purchasing card).
  • Travel expenses that will be reimbursed by another organization rather than by the university should not be charged to the university. The cost of airline tickets and other travel expenses should be borne by the traveler and the traveler reimbursed directly from the organization.
  • The Extended Work Day meal policy is for travel that causes the employee to work in excess of a normal schedule outside of assigned work location(s) and/or assigned tasks. It is reimbursed at a set rate of $21 for the day.
  • Receipts less than $75 not required other than for hotel and supplies.
  • Acronyms should not be used.

Guidance on travel reimbursement and office location and remote work

The University has an accountable plan that allows it to reimburse employees for authorized business expenses with no effect on compensation. Under this plan, the employee must have incurred travel expenses while performing services for the University (BPM-505). Individuals using a personal vehicle for official business will be reimbursed based on the mileage of the most direct route incurred because of business need, plus any costs of parking and tolls. An online mapping service may be used to verify mileage requested is reasonable. The mileage reimbursement rate is set by the Controller’s Office and posted on the Controller’s website (UM Policy 22602).

The question of the starting point for business mileage often comes up. Employees should not benefit or be penalized because of their personal choice of where to live. Their normal expected commuting costs are not considered a business need but a personal responsibility and are not a University reimbursable expense (Note: this is our understanding based on IRS guidance and it is always advisable to verify with a tax expert). This applies regardless of day of the week, time of day or number of times per day. With few exceptions, off-campus faculty and staff will have a work location and address in a University or county leased or owned location that is considered the starting point for mileage reimbursement.

If you have business travel for a meeting or programming that does not allow you to travel to the office first and/or return at the end of the day, you may claim the mileage to and from your home or office, whichever is the shorter route.

Off-Campus Extension faculty and staff

  1. Hourly paid/non-exempt staff position – must report all hours worked including in the office and out of the office for events, educational delivery, and meetings – there is an expectation of a set schedule and calendars must be kept up to date if not expected to be in the physical office for all hours worked in a week. Flexing schedules during peak times and/or events/classes outside normal work hours is allowed but does requires more controls and monitoring. If the office is closed for weather for instance, hourly paid employees are expected to work from home or take leave because they have laptops, but these are limited situations.
  2. Exempt/faculty/academic positions – there is flexibility with exempt positions – positions are tied to their expectations and plans of work. There is a responsibility to local offices and to provide face to face programming and “meet our constituents and stakeholders where they are.” Online should certainly be in the mix of options and judgements made when it makes the most sense.
    1. Telework arrangements are not needed for these positions – positions will have a work location and when it might make sense to work from home (no face-to-face meetings in a particular day for example), will be allowable – although not a “structured” schedule that every week looks the same. We should expect some judgement on the part of our faculty and if expectations aren’t being met, performance improvement measures are taken.
  3. Any materials, supply items and or IT equipment will only be shipped to a university or county office. We cannot ship University owned and purchased items to home addresses.