UM System Risk and Insurance Management website
List and descriptions of the major categories of insurance coverage the University of Missouri carries, including automobile liability, general liability, professional liability, self-insured property program, workers' compensation and miscellaneous coverage

Councils and council members

County extension councils are created by state statute as entities of local government and not as departments of the University of Missouri, neither councils nor council members are covered by University of Missouri liability or insurance coverage. But, as governmental entities, liability is limited by state statues on sovereign immunity (see Section 537.600 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri) and also as members of not-for-profit, public-serving boards (see Section 537.117 of the Revised Statutes of Missouri).

As with any public, private board or council, Extension Council members could face claims that they have breached fiduciary or other duties in execution of their Council member roles. While historically, this risk has not resulted in a significant number of claims, the question of whether a Council chooses to mitigate that risk through acquisition of liability insurance is one for the Council to determine.

Councils exist as independent statutory entities and cooperative with the University under the provisions of applicable state statues and are not covered by University insurance. The unique risk exposure and budget situation of each Council are among the factors Councils need to think about when considering board member liability and/or directors and officers liability insurance coverage.

Questions regarding a specific issue or occurrence can be directed to Tamra Robbins (573-882-7755 or via email).


Personal vehicle

  • The university provides only excess liability coverage on personal vehicles used on university business.
  • In the event you are considered liable for such an accident, your personal automobile insurance would pay first; the university's coverage would become involved only when your policy limits are exhausted.
  • The university recommends that employees using personally owned vehicles for business maintain personal automobile policies with a minimum of $300,000 combined single limit.

Rental vehicle

Collision and liability coverage is automatically provided either by the university's self-insured program, by the university-sponsored corporate charge card or procurement card, or Enterprise/National contract when used to rent the vehicle in the U.S. and Canada.

You should decline the CDW/LDW coverages within the U.S. and Canada.

Except for the following kinds of vehicles rented for use, regardless of the method of payment used, if not rented from Enterprise or National domestic locations:

  • Passenger vans with seating capacities greater than 8 persons
  • Trucks or other similar vehicles rented for the primary purpose of transporting any type of cargo or property
  • Sports or utility vehicles to be used off of maintained roads

University vehicle

  • The self-insured Automobile Liability Program provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage liability arising out of the operation of use of university-owned or operated vehicles.
  • All university officers, agents, employees, authorized volunteers and authorized students are covered under this program.
  • If you drive a university vehicle, download your own wallet guide (PDF) to take with you.

Reporting an automobile accident while conducting university business

University employees should complete and submit a vehicle accident form: Vehicle Accident Report UM-5 when involved in a vehicle accident while conducting university business whether operating a university vehicle, rental car or personal vehicle. The reports can be sent to Tamra Robbins at [email protected] and she will send on to appropriate campus contact. If an injury occurs to the employee, an additional form will be required.

Passenger vans

As noted in the UM System Insurance Coverages for Automobiles Protocols, MU EHS requires all drivers of traditional 12- and 15-passenger vans attend specific training to driving vans. MU EHS offers classroom-based courses on request.

Enterprise vans will not fall under the training requirements mentioned above. They are considered the newer redesigned vehicles so training isn't required. However, the training will be required on older 15 passenger vans owned by Campus Facilities and Athletics and possibly vans not rented from Enterprise.

Business property insurance

Beginning in 1997, extension secured business property insurance coverage through the University of Missouri, allowing councils to eliminate insurance coverage for all university inventoried equipment. The per occurrence deductible is $1,000.

This insurance covers University of Missouri Extension property located in county extension offices or in the possession of MU Extension field faculty or staff. This includes cost-share items procured through the university. This coverage does not include items owned by the council and not procured through the university. The coverage insures against physical loss or damage due to theft, fire, windstorm, hail, smoke, flood, quake and collapse. However, laptops and LCD projectors are not covered in cases of mysterious disappearance. There must be evidence of forcible entry or severed tie-downs before coverage applies.

There is no premium cost to councils for this coverage, however, councils will be expected to pay a portion of the deductible or actual cost of repair or replacement as follows. In the case of losses valued in excess of $1,000, MU Extension will fund the full deductible ($1,000) for the first occurrence in any calendar year and one-half of the deductible ($500) for any additional occurrences in the same calendar year. Councils will be expected to pay one-half of the deductible, $500 per occurrence, for such losses after the first occurrence in any calendar year. For losses valued at less than $1,000, extension will fund the full repair or replacement cost of the first occurrence and one-half of the cost for any additional such occurrences in the same calendar year. Councils will be expected to pay one-half of the cost of repair or replacement for such losses after the first occurrence in any calendar year.

Any loss should be reported to Tamra Robbins (573-882-7755 or via email) in the extension administrative management office. All property losses should be reported regardless of the presumed value of the loss. Reporting forms will be provided upon notification of a loss. Upon receipt of a completed loss report, the extension administrative management office will work with the University Risk and Insurance Management office and staff in the reporting office to determine if a repair or replacement is to be authorized and the handling of the deductible.

In the event of a loss, it is important to have maintained a non-consumable items inventory, which includes the original purchase price.

Educator's liability

The university's coverage would be liable if it is determined a client has damages as a result of the program content provided by extension faculty or someone officially representing the university (recognized volunteer).

Personal injury on property

University insurance coverage for personal injury on locations not owned by the university would be based on what the problem is that arises and who then is ultimately responsible for the issue. For example, if a field specialist takes a group of clients on a tour of a privately owned farm and one of the clients is hurt on the visit the circumstances of the accident would be reviewed and to the extent that the specialist could have prevented the accident or acted negligently the university would assume responsibility. If the individual is injured because of an unsafe condition on the property, the owner of the property is liable. This comes up fairly often with the MU Extension programs and if a property owner is concerned about potential liability of individuals visiting they could ask that individuals sign waivers of liability before they take the tour. These are fairly simple documents and they make the individual aware that if they twist their ankle in a hole they are responsible for their own safety. Farms can be fairly dangerous places and the university is not going to cover the liability associated with the conditions of the property that might be risky as the university has no control over those conditions.

In circumstances where the property owner demands or expects that extension accept personal injury liability associated with the activity, we can discuss with Risk and Insurance Management and possibly get a letter indicating the specific event is covered or we can work with Risk and Insurance Management to purchase additional insurance for a specific event. There is not a blanket statement that says the university will accept all responsibility for injuries at a site simply because extension is conducting a program there. Many times for 4-H events additional insurance is purchased.

Liability coverage for MU Extension volunteers

The subject has arisen of liability coverage for MU Extension volunteers while participating in approved service activities. The University of Missouri provides defense and protection against loss, damage or expense for its employees, students and volunteers. The terms and conditions of coverage are outlined in the University's Collected Rules and Regulations 490.010.

The university's policy on defense and protection, however, does not apply to participants at extension-sponsored events, unless they are located on university property.

Accident and Health Insurance for 4-H Events

Accident and health insurance through the 4-H Youth Development program covers part or all of medical expenses arising from accidents occurring during 4-H events and travel to and from the event. It ensures that people who are injured or become ill as part of a 4-H activity will not have to pay medical bills without assistance.

4-H member state dues include statewide 4-H insurance coverage through American Income Life Insurance (for enrolled 4-H youth and enrolled 4-H volunteers, including horse project members and leaders). This means that counties and clubs do not purchase accident insurance locally. The new state policy was effective Sept. 1, 2014 and will be renewed annually by the State 4-H office.

For various documents for coverage and the claim form can be found on the share drive - S:\MUCampus\4-H\Risk-Management\Insurance. For questions, please contact Lupita Fabregas or Patty Hudnut.

Worker's Compensation

Under Missouri state law, workers' compensation provides for the payment of medical expenses and compensation to any covered employee who is either injured in a work-related accident or incurs a compensable occupation disease. It also provides for death benefits should the injury or disease result in death. All employees, including students while in an employment status, and certain recognized volunteers are covered under workers' compensation. Council paid employees are considered University of Missouri volunteers.

Reports of injury must be reported to the department immediately after it occurs. All injuries must be reported within 24 hours of the injury to the Workers' Compensation Coordinator on a Report of Injury Form. The Report of Injury Form may then be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed to the appropriate Workers' Compensation Coordinator. Each report is processed and a determination of Workers' Compensation is made on a case by case basis.

For specific information about workers' compensation, see HR 307 Workers' Compensation, UM System Risk Management and visit the Missouri Department of Labor and Industrial Relations website.

General questions regarding workers compensation coverage can be directed to Diane Dews (573-882-5134 or via email). Actual reporting forms for Worker's Compensation claims can be found at the UM System Risk and Insurance Management site.