Property and Equipment

All insurance-specific questions and needs should be directed to the UM System Risk and Insurance Management team.

Click on each tab to read more about the topic.

Related Topics

  • Section 6 Liability
  • Show/Hide

    4.1 Real Property Owned by the University of Missouri

    [Non-moveable. Examples include land and most kinds of buildings and structures.] As the engagement arm of the University of Missouri, all MU Extension property belongs to the University of Missouri. As such, the collected rules and regulations related to the ownership, use, distribution, and depreciation of MU Extension property apply. Includes real estate, land, and the four campuses.

  • Show/Hide

    4.2 Real Property, Public

    Public property includes all spaces open for use by community members with or without a reservation. For example, a city or state park is open for use without a reservation, while it is best to make a reservation when taking a large group to the city pool. Exclusive use of a shelter in a park may require a reservation and a nominal fee, but the space around the shelter remains open to the public.

    1. Share the Risk
      MU Extension employees overseeing the program should assist the volunteer leader(s) to procure additional liability insurance through American Income (AIL) Life Insurance Special Risk Division. See Section 6. Liability Tab 6.2 for the AIL policy summary and links to additional resources.
    2. Avoid the Risk
      The University assumes no risk for those individuals in public spaces who are not connected to the activities of the named extension program (e.g. youth and adults at a public pool who are not enrolled in the 4-H program).

    Proof of Insurance by Community Partner

    When holding a program at a facility (not owned by the Extension Council nor affiliated with the University of Missouri), the host organization may request proof of general liability coverage. Please visit the online request form. (See below)

    "The Curators of the University of Missouri insurance or self-funded General Liability, Auto, Property or Workers' Compensation coverage, please use our online request form."

  • Show/Hide

    4.3 Real Property, Private

    Private property includes land, buildings, and structures owned and maintained by business entities, community partners, and individuals. Individuals may include a single person or family. The private property includes the land and buildings used for dwelling as well as land and structures used for recreation or agriculture. The volunteer leader, in full knowledge of the employee overseeing the named program, arranges for use of the property with the property owner(s). The volunteer making the arrangement will provide the employee with a list of dates or a date range and times the private property will be used.

    Liability Considerations

    • The property owner assumes all risk for damage to the land and/or buildings and structures caused during organized and agreed upon extension programs held on the property.
    • If arrangements of compensation for damage are arranged between the volunteer and property owner, the extension program chapter or club is responsible for the agreed-upon compensation. In this circumstance, the University assumes no risk.
    • The program employee should assist the volunteer leader(s) to procure extension event insurance through American Life Insurance Special Risk Division.
    • The employee should assist the volunteer leader to secure a Certificate of Insurance from UM System Risk and Insurance Management division for the property owner to keep on record. A copy of the certificate is to be held at the county extension office.

    All insurance-specific questions and needs should be directed to the UM System Risk and Insurance Management team.

  • Show/Hide

    4.4 Real Property Owned by the County Extension Council

    Neither 4-H Clubs nor 4-H Councils can own property. This includes trailers. The local Extension Council may accept responsibility for property donated or held by a 4-H Club or 4-H Council, but the Extension Council must accept responsibility for the insurance, maintenance, and liability associated with the property or asset. Individuals on Extension property during a program include employees, recognized volunteers, helpers, or assistants who are not recognized volunteers, or program participants. Employee and recognized volunteers are included in the Defence Against Damage and Loss policy (University's Collected Rules and Regulations 490.010).

    But what of injuries and loss to the individual while participating in a program on extension property beyond employee and recognized volunteers? For other individuals the employee may consider the following:

    A. Extension Program Participants/Project Helpers

    Those actively participating in the program, either registered for the workshop or those assistants who are not recognized volunteers, may receive additional coverage provided by Special Activities Insurance through AIL. The program employee should assist the volunteer leader(s) to procure additional liability insurance. See Section 6. Liability Tab 6.2 Topic B for more details regarding Special Activities Insurance for non-program helpers and assistants.

    Alternatively, have helpers sign a waiver indemnifying the University of liability. However, if a serious injury occurred, the expenses could come back to the local extension program (e.g. Master Gardener chapter or 4-H club)

    B. General Public

    The Special Activities Insurance through AIL does not cover spectators or members of the general public. There are several strategies to reduce the risk when the general public is allowed to attend a program event:

    • Have guests sign a waiver indemnifying the University of liability. However, if a serious injury occurred, the expenses could come back to the local extension program (e.g. Master Gardener chapter or 4-H club)
    • Make the event a class and have guests register in advance. The University provides liability coverage for program participants in MU Extension-sponsored events, such as programs and classes.
    • If the venue poses a high risk on the date selected for any reason, choose another date or select another venue.

    For all real property, use and file the UM System Student or General Public Injury and Property Damage Report 200(PDF) as the need arises or at the direction of the program director.

  • Show/Hide

    4.5 Personal Property (Vehicles and Equipment)

    [Tangible and moveable. Examples include vehicles, furniture, electronics, and equipment.] Volunteers' personal property is not automatically covered by University insurance policies. It is required that the individual carry the appropriate insurance for the personal vehicle and/or equipment used.

    As a general rule, University coverage would become involved only when your policy limits are exhausted. Refer to the UM System Automobile and Insurance FAQ page to learn more about when University automobile liability coverage exists and when it does not apply.

    Missouri law requires that a motor vehicle must be titled (within 30 days of the purchase date) before it is registered for highway use. All vehicles and trailers must meet the safety and titling requirements of Missouri DMV. Failure to do so negates any University liability coverage automatically, as does not provide the proper (personal) insurance for the vehicle.

    If an injury occurs, volunteers (who were authorized by an employee to use the vehicle or equipment) may be considered for Workman's Compensation in certain circumstances. See Section 6. Liability Tab 6.2 Topic B concerning volunteers and Workman's Comp eligibility.

    1. Use of Personal Vehicles on Behalf of a Named Extension Program
      1. The volunteer must be authorized to drive on University business by the employee in order to be considered for University liability excess coverage. The authorization may be obtained by being asked by the employee to drive on University business (e.g. delivering state fair projects from the county office), or by asking or informing the employee ahead of time (e.g. seeking permission to pick up supplies or equipment for a program).
      2. The University provides only excess liability coverage on personal vehicles used on University business. In the event you are considered liable for such an accident, your personal automobile insurance would pay first; the university's coverage would become involved only when your policy limits are exhausted. The University policy does not provide physical damage coverage - either as primary or excess - incurred by the personal vehicle (including trailers). The individual is responsible for carrying the appropriate automotive insurance at all times when driving on University business.
      3. Unlicensed vehicles (gators, tractors, etc.) are not covered by UM System policies. The owner assumes all risk. Refer to the UM System Automobile and Insurance FAQ page.
    2. Use of Personal Equipment (Non-Vehicular)
      1. The owner assumes all risk for damage or theft to personal equipment. Personal equipment includes hand-held tools, power tools, gas/diesel powered tools, computers, audio-visual equipment, remote-controlled devices, etc.
  • Show/Hide

    4.6 University-Owned Property (Vehicles and Equipment)

    The University may own vehicles such as vans, trucks, and trailers assigned to an extension program area. Equipment includes machinery and tools powered by combustion or electricity (e.g. tractors, forklifts, walk-behind tillers, stand-on or riding mowers, etc), as well as laptop and handheld devices requiring an electrical connection or battery power (e.g. computers, video cameras, drones, hand-held tools, etc). The former will be referred to as "large equipment" and the latter "handheld devices".

    Equipment, supplies, and materials purchased by a volunteer group through University-approved grants in the name of an MU Extension program become the property of the local or state MU Extension program. See 5. Financial Management Tabs 5.8 and 5.9 for policies regarding grants and gifts.

    • Show/Hide

      A. Use of University Vehicles on Behalf of a Named Extension Program

      See Section 6. Liability Tab 6.3 regarding volunteer drivers. Review the University of Missouri System Policies – Vehicles and the UM System Automobile and Insurance FAQ page for vehicle insurance policies.

    • Show/Hide

      B. Use of University-Owned Large Equipment

      Large equipment includes tractors, gators, Volunteers are not authorized to operate University-owned equipment. In instances they do, the University assumes no risk. Any incurred damage will be charged back to the local extension Council, the program chapter or club, or possibly the extension program area that allowed the infraction to occur (i.e. if an employee authorized a volunteer to use the equipment). As the University does not authorize volunteers to use University-owned large equipment, the volunteer would not be eligible for Workman's Comp through the University for personal injury.

    • Show/Hide

      C. Use of University-Owned Handheld Devices

      Volunteers are authorized to utilize handheld devices under the direction and supervision of the employee with oversight of the program. Certain handheld devices (e.g. drones) may require the volunteer to complete training before use. The use of University computers must be authorized, controlled, and monitored by extension employees. University computers may only be connected to secure networks. The use of laptops, therefore, should be restricted to the county MU Extension office or offline (i.e. at a county fair or plant sale). Be sure to review the UM System Property Insurance FAQ before equipment is loaned to a volunteer.

  • Show/Hide

    4.7 Loaned or Borrowed Property (Vehicles and Equipment)

    In general, the use of loaned and borrowed vehicles and equipment by volunteers should be avoided or not authorized by the employee. There is too much risk involved. Does the borrowed equipment meet all safety requirements? Is it working properly? There are too many variables that cannot be controlled.

    • Show/Hide

      A. Vehicles Rented for Official University Business

      An individual renting a vehicle contractually assumes liability for any loss or damage to that vehicle regardless of fault. Collision and liability coverage is automatically provided either by the university's self-funded program, by the University-sponsored corporate charge card or procurement card or Enterprise/National contract when used to rent the vehicle in the U.S. and Canada (UM System Auto Insurance page). As volunteers are not authorized to rent vehicles by use of a University-sponsored corporate charge card, they are not authorized to drive vehicles employees have rented for University business except under certain circumstances (e.g. transporting youth to an event in a rented passenger van) and only if the volunteer is both qualified and authorized to do so.

      A recognized volunteer may be authorized to drive a passenger van rented by a program employee. For requirements and expectations of volunteer drivers Section 3. Youth Safety Tab 3.3 Topic B.4. The volunteer driver must abide by the Passenger Van Safety policies on the University Risk and Insurance Management website. If driving a 12-15 passenger van (limited to 10 people) the volunteer drivers must attend training specific to driving vans.

      If a volunteer rents a vehicle through their own means to conduct business on behalf of the University including to transport youth, they assume all risk for damage and injury.

      Review the University of Missouri System Automobile Insurance FAQ for coverage of rented vehicles.

    • Show/Hide

      B. Equipment Rented for Official University Business

      Section 4.7.A. applies to equipment rentals. Volunteers should not use equipment rented by the employee.

    • Show/Hide

      C. Vehicles and Equipment Loaned by a Private Party

      The owner of the vehicle and/or equipment assumes all liability for property damage. If the use of the property causes harm to the volunteer operating it, they may be covered by the owner's insurance or might be considered for Workman's Compensation if they were authorized by the employee to do so and a report is filed. For these reasons, using loaned or borrowed vehicles and heavy equipment is not advised.

  • Show/Hide

    4.8 MU Extension Identity (Logo, Seal, Emblem, Etc.)

    The University seal and/or an extension program's name/logo/emblem/identity are property of the University. Therefore, the use of the MU Extension program name, brand, logo, etc. must be controlled and monitored by the employee responsible for the program.

    A. Policy

    All MU Extension program logos and emblems are the intellectual property of the University of Missouri. Altering the program logo and emblem in any fashion or use of the logo and emblem in an unauthorized capacity is strictly prohibited. Any use of the MU Extension name and emblem is forbidden if it exploits the MU Extension programs, its volunteers, program participants, or the USDA, Cooperative Extension, land- grant institutions, or their employees. Additionally, the program name and emblem shall not be used to imply endorsement of commercial firms, products, or services.

    B. Procedure

    Only recognized volunteers (see Section 1. Risk Management Overview Tab 1.7 for volunteer qualifications) may be authorized to use and display the MU Extension name, logo, and emblem in their authorized volunteer role for extension programming. Volunteers seeking to use the extension program's name and emblem for clothing, print and web media, promotional fliers and informative brochures, DIY marketing materials, products for sale, etc., must seek prior approval from an MU Extension employee. For policies related to print and digital media, visit the MU Extension Communications and Marketing site for additional guidance, templates, and resources. A volunteer risks dismissal from the program for knowingly misusing or altering the MU Extension program name, emblems, and associated logos.

    • 4-H Name and Emblem: The 4-H name and emblem are protected under federal statute Title 18, U.S. Code 707. This statute protects other federal emblems, like the seal of the president of the United States. Recognized 4-H volunteers are authorized by MU Extension to use the 4-H Name and Emblem, and agree to adhere to the national 4-H guidelines found at Anyone engaging in unauthorized use or misuse of the 4-H Name and Emblem is subject to federal prosecution. (4-H faculty and staff: More information on this topic is located in the 4-H Policy and Procedure Manual. Contact Stephanie Femrite if you have difficulty accessing the 4-H Policy and Procedure online manual.)
  • Show/Hide

    4.9 Websites and Social Media

    All forms of social media that claim affiliation to or identify as an extension program are regulated by University policy. The Internet presence of an extension program is a form of intellectual property (see Tab 4.11). That property and associated brand identity must be protected.

    • Show/Hide

      A. Policy

      A Mizzou branded account includes all accounts administered by University employees using the University of Missouri name, logos, and/or nicknames, or accounts that represent a University of Missouri College, School, division, department, or program. Mizzou branded accounts represent the University. Individuals who run the accounts may not express personal opinions or use University branding without authorization or accountability ( MU Extension volunteer-created and volunteer-managed accounts branded as MU Extension accounts are included.

    • Show/Hide

      B. Volunteer-Managed Accounts

      The employee must authorize the adult volunteer(s) to manage existing and proposed websites and social media accounts that display or claim affiliation with a MU Extension program. The employee requires uninhibited access to view, follow, join, and monitor all volunteer-managed websites, social media accounts, and electronic communication platforms operating in the name of MU Extension and its programs. Employees shall take appropriate steps to shut down sites and accounts that are not readily monitored or are in violation of MU Extension policy. In willful violations of these policies, volunteers may be dismissed from the program.

      See all MU Extension Social Media resources, many of which may be shared with volunteer groups.

      Additional guidance for social media accounts may be found on the University of Missouri's Identity Standards page.

    • Show/Hide

      C. MU Extension Branded Social Media Accounts & Required Information

      A University branded account includes all accounts administered by University employees and/or Extension volunteers using the University of Missouri name, logos, and/or nicknames, or accounts that represent a University of Missouri College, School, division, department or program (Extension). Volunteer-managed accounts must follow the naming and use guidelines, and include information in the "About" section showing affiliation with MU Extension. For guidance on establishing social media accounts, refer to the MU Extension Way's Social Media: Getting Started (PDF) guide.

  • Show/Hide

    4.10 Copyright, Fair Use, Permissions, and Photo Usage

    • Show/Hide

      A. Policy

      Refer to 100.030 Copyright Regulations of the Collective Rules and Regulations.

    • Show/Hide

      B. Procedure

      Employee shall follow MU Extension policy regarding the use of copyrighted materials (including all forms of print and digital media) to determine if and how the materials should be utilized and distributed by volunteers on behalf of the MU Extension program. In short, assume all material is copyrighted and secure authorization before utilizing it. Refer to the following publications for guidance:

    • Show/Hide

      C. Music and Videos

      Treat all music and/or videos as copyrighted unless explicitly stated otherwise. Whether from a CD, MP3 player, music app, or web-based, the volunteer needs to take the steps to secure permission to use the media before, during, and after the program. to support extension programs needs to be monitored. Promotional pieces and highlight. Consider assisting volunteers to find music that MU Extension is licensed to use, i.e. the Universal Production Music Library.

    • Show/Hide

      D. Creative Commons

      From "Creative Commons is a system that allows you to legally use "some rights reserved" music, movies, images, and other content — all for free. CC offers free copyright licenses that anyone can use to mark their creative work with the freedoms they want it to carry. For instance, a musician might use a Creative Commons license to allow people to legally share her songs online, make copies for friends, or even use them in videos or make remixes."

      Exercise caution: Not all CC songs are completely "free" to use. If the media carries a CC license, the person seeking to use the media must follow the artist's terms for use. And, there are a variety of sites to locate CC media, each potentially carrying risks -- data collections, cookies, viruses, etc.

  • Show/Hide

    4.11 Intellectual Property

    Intellectual property refers to creations of the mind: inventions; literary and artistic works; and symbols, names, and images used in commerce. Intellectual property owned by MU Extension includes but is not limited to all research and curricula developed and used for the University of Missouri and MU Extension programming, as well as websites and social media accounts bearing the program name, logo, and/or emblem.

    A. Policy

    The use of MU Extension intellectual property requires prior authorization and must be utilized in an authorized capacity.

    B. Procedure

    Only recognized volunteers (see Section 1. Risk Management Overview Tab 1.7 Volunteer Qualifications) should be authorized to use MU Extension name, logo, emblem, and intellectual property in their authorized volunteer role for extension programming (e.g., a Master Gardener teaching from MU Extension Master Gardener curriculum, plant guides, PowerPoints, etc.).